Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's about time!

Yeah, I am talking about how long it has taken me to post.

But also I am referring to Full-Figured Fashion Week that is coming to NYC this week!

Thanks to my FBBF (fashion best friend forever!) Stephanie Penn-Danforth who makes her living bringing fasion and information to full figured women via her Daily Venus Diva Magazine.

Now I do realize that even though it's called a "week", it is just 3 days at this point, but that fact that the fashion world is even acknowledging the more bountiful among us is noteworthy.

Just a few facts for reference:
According to Women's Wear Daily (WWD to those in the biz or who follow the biz)the average woman in the US wears a size 14. That is miles away from the sample size 0 and 2 that are a fashion house and runway show staple.

According the US Census, there are over 159 million women in the US (51.7% of the population).

The government's Women's Health Information Center (womenshealth.gov) states that over a third of women are obese.

So, while I am not a mathematician, by my rough count, that means that there are at least 53 million plus size women in the United States who need clothes.

And if you are a fashion conscious plus-size woman like myself, you know how difficult it is to find clothing that is fashionable and age appropriate. I can find a flowered muumuu any day. An all black ensemble? No problem! But to find something that is suitable for my 30-something flirty fun personality, I have to work a little harder. And when you factor in my budget that includes student loans and increasing gas prices, you've got a major challenge.

So, I am happy for FFFWeek and can't wait to go.

I will give a full report with photos on Sunday when I return.

Until then, live big, bold and beautiful ladies!

Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment